Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Facelift

Days to Wedding: 107
Days to Marathon: 156
Miles run in the last 7 days: 6.16
Most Consecutive Miles: 3.0

My training program has gotten a facelift.  A much needed, non scary (talking to you Kenny Rodgers) facelift.

Under my original plan, the first 10 weeks of training were timed runs.  At first that seemed genius.  No pressure to go at a fast pace, walk a little if you need to, just keep moving.  But in practical application, the mental hurdle was HUGE.  I'm talking pole vault status.  It's hard for me to stay motivated to push through when at 15 minutes I'm only half way there.  Time just slows down...

And to be fair, I'm already averaging a 9 minute mile.  So it doesn't make sense to have me run that pace for 30 or 40 minutes when my first week of distance running starts at 3 miles...

So I will now be running 3 miles, 4 or 5 days this week and gradually increasing. My first week of scheduled distance runs has me running 15 miles during the week.  With my new program, I may actually be slightly ahead of schedule!! Go over achieving!

One last word- I am using the app Endomondo to track my training progress.  I have the free version on my Droid X and it is fabulous! It keeps track of my route (via GPS), total milage, mile pace, calories burned and more! I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment